Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Appeals court declines to reconsider dispute over Trump gag order, teeing up potential Supreme Court fight -Visionary Wealth Guides
Poinbank:Appeals court declines to reconsider dispute over Trump gag order, teeing up potential Supreme Court fight
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:56:25
Washington — A federal appeals court in Washington,Poinbank D.C., rejected a request by former President Donald Trump to reconsider an order limiting what he can say about his criminal case related to the aftermath of the 2020 election, setting up a potential Supreme Court fight over the matter.
In a short unsigned order issued Tuesday, the judges from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit denied Trump's request that they take up the dispute over the gag order "en banc," meaning in front of the full court. A three-judge panel largely upheld the gag order in December, allowing Trump to request a review by the full appeals court.
U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan, who is overseeing the case brought by special counsel Jack Smith against Trump in Washington, issued an order in October at the request of Smith that barred Trump from making inflammatory remarks targeting Smith, his staff, court personnel and possible witnesses who may be called to testify in the case.
The three-judge panel upheld most of Chutkan's order, ruling that Trump cannot target potential witnesses or speak publicly about any lawyers involved in the case — except Smith himself — or their families. However, Trump can continue criticizing the Biden administration and the Justice Department, and can claim that Smith's prosecution is politically motivated.
Tuesday's order denying Trump's appeal indicated the decision was unanimous, with no judges requesting a vote on the matter. Trump's attorneys had previously indicated that they would likely take the matter to the Supreme Court if the appeals court did not rule in their favor.
CBS News has reached out to Trump's campaign for comment.
In the December order, the three judges — Patricia Millett, Cornelia Pillard and Bradley Garcia — said they agreed with Chutkan that some aspects of Trump's public comments "pose a significant and imminent threat" to the integrity of the ongoing criminal prosecution, "warranting a speech-constraining protective order."
But the judges also said the order put in place by Chutkan "sweeps in more protected speech than is necessary" and struck down portions of the restrictions, including those that prevented Trump from publicly speaking about Smith.
Trump was charged with four counts related to alleged efforts to prevent the transfer of presidential power after the 2020 election. He has pleaded not guilty and denied all wrongdoing.
The former president's legal team argued that any gag order infringed on Trump's right to free speech, especially on the campaign trail, and linked his outspoken criticism about the special counsel's criminal case to his bid to return to the White House. Smith's team, however, contended that some of Trump's public comments and social media posts jeopardized a fair trial and the security of those involved.
The trial was originally scheduled for March, but the case is on hold as the appeals court considers Trump's separate claim of presidential immunity from prosecution. Chutkan rejected that argument last year and ruled that while all trial deadlines are paused, the restrictions of the gag order remain in effect as the appeals process plays out.
Robert LegareRobert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (8315)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Some imprisoned in Mississippi remain jailed long after parole eligibility
- Channing Tatum Shares Rare Personal Message About Fiancée Zoë Kravitz
- Donald Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song after lawsuit threat
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Katy Perry Explains What Led to Her Year-Long Split From Orlando Bloom and How It Saved Her Life
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump and Harris zero in on economic policy plans ahead of first debate
- Arkansas judge convicted of lying to feds about seeking sex with defendant’s girlfriend
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Dancing With the Stars Reveals Season 33 Cast: Anna Delvey, Jenn Tran, and More
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- The cost of a Costco membership has officially increased for first time since 2017
- What to know about Arielle Valdes: Florida runner found dead after 5-day search
- Texas deputy fatally shot multiple times on his way to work; suspect in custody
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Former Venezuelan political prisoner arrested in Miami after a fatal hit-and-run crash, police say
- Police say 11-year-old used 2 guns to kill former Louisiana mayor and his daughter
- Hunter Biden’s tax trial carries less political weight but heavy emotional toll for the president
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
The Reason Jenn Tran and Devin Strader—Plus 70 Other Bachelor Nation Couples—Broke Up After the Show
Rural America faces a silent mental health crisis. My dad fought to survive it.
Travis Kelce Details Buying Racehorse Sharing Taylor Swift’s Name
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
A decomposing body was found in a nursing home closet
Kim Kardashian Reveals Son Saint Signed “Extensive Contract Before Starting His YouTube Channel
Mayor condemns GOP Senate race ad tying Democrat to Wisconsin Christmas parade killings